It is obvious that whatever hair care and hair styling products you are using, you must have to maintain some hair care routine along with. The routine becomes mandatory if you have long hair. Keeping healthy hair can make your hair styling easy and give you confidence.
But hair care routine for long hair is challenging and hard to maintain, especially if you are a busy person. However, we have made with this step by step guide easy and helpful for you. You can do this hair routine for long hair only once or twice a week.
Step 1 – Make a Routine First
First thing first, you have to make a routine in accordance with your time and obviously with your hair type. Taking care of hair is not that hard rather we say it’s tricky. Routine indicates a fixed time but in hair care maintenance, it can be done any day at any time. However, we recommend washing your hair not randomly but periodically. This will allow you to keep a healthy balance of your hair and will not give you much headache about your hair care routine time.
Step 2 – Wash Your Hair in Proper Way
Before washing your hairs, there are two things to be done. Those are:
- Always remember to brush/comb your hair from the bottom up before washing or showering. It will remove any tangles from your long hair.
- Raw coconut oil can be your hair beauty secret weapon. If you have a plan to wash your hair in the next morning, use raw coconut oil on your hair in the previous evening or the night. This protects your hair from breakage, boosts blood circulation, and moisturizes the hair. Coconut oil is also antibacterial and very rich in nutrients.
However, many think that they should wash their hair daily but the truth is hairs do not need that regular wash. When your hair gets dirty and oily, just wash it. Do not wash your hair just out of habit. First, correctly identify what type of hair you have. Then wash your hair according to on your hair texture. We are going to help you out with that. Follow below:
- If your hair is thick and curly, do not wash your hair regularly.
- If you have thin and flat hair, try to wash it often to keep it non-greasy and tidy. Because the oily scalp is more visible to thin, flat and straight hairs.
- If the hair thickness is average or has the normal type of hair, then wash it when it necessary and gets dirty or oily.
- If you have dry hair, wash it once or twice a week.
- There is no exact formula how many times you should wash your hair in a week. Keep monitoring your hair and how it reacts after every washing. You can then decide on your own when you should wash your lovely long hair.
Most of the girls “only wash” their hair during a shower. But to maintain a healthy long hair care routine, it is important to know the right procedure of washing your long hair. We are going to describe the right way for you now.
- Apply shampoos twice during your shower. By doing that, the first shampooing cleans the dirt and grease of your hair. And the 2nd one actually cleans all of your hair and your scalp.
- Always finish your hair wash by using a conditioner. This will help to restore the moisture of your hair.
- Try to use hair care products that include natural ingredients like argan oil, coconut, etc.
- Avoid hot water to wash your hair.
Step 3 – Things to Do After Wash
After finishing wash and conditioning your hair properly, always brush your wet hair. We recommend you to use a wide-tooth comb as it always helps to remove any knots on wet hair.
After that, use a mousse if you have long but fine/thin hair. This will add more volume. Remember to apply the mousse to the root of your hair and grind the product evenly throughout of it. If your hair is thin, Paul Mitchell Extra Body Sculpting Foam will be best for you. And the best overall mousse can be Joico JoiWhip.
Then use Remington D3190 or BIO IONIC Goldpro as your blow dryer to dry out your hair. But before using it, apply some nourishing serum like Mario Badescu Peptide Renewal Serum or Dr. Jart Ceramidin. These serums contain jojoba oil and argan which works as a heat protectant as well. However, let us share a trick with you. While drying your hair, do it upside down. This method adds volume to your hair.
A Tip: Do not use any hair straighteners or other hair styling machine on your wet hair. Always let your hair dry naturally. If you are in a hurry, use a blow dryer to dry out your hair quickly. But do not remember to use any nourishing serum before using a blow dryer.
Use a small amount of Bobbi Brown BB Cream and spread it all over the ends of your hair.
Last but not least, remember to trim your hair routinely as the long hair is likely to split ends. Besides, do not keep your hair without cutting it for a long period of time. This makes your hair looks unhealthy and damaged. Trim every two months if your hair is too much prone to split ends.
Step 4 – Choose Your Hair Care Product Wisely
You have to choose the hair care products according to the type of your hair. A certain product will not work well on your hair as it has worked on your friend’s hair. Be wise; do not be fooled by the untrusted sources of suggestion. Here is our expert suggestion on which products you should use for your long hair care.
Our Recommended Long Hair Care Products:
- Pre-wash: Use a wide-toothed comb, like Conair Comb Shower. It will not harsh on your hair and there will be no tangle during brushing.
- Shampoos & Conditioners: There are few products that we like to recommend for long hair. First one is the OGX Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil. This will help to make your hair root stronger and grow longer. The second one is Bain de Terre Keratin Phyto-Protein Sulfate-Free Strengthening Shampoo. And for conditioner, our recommendation will be Biomega Moisture Mist Leave-In Conditioner.
- After-wash Care: For after shower care, our favorite two products are: Chi 44 Iron Guard Heat-resistor and Regis Designline Enchanted Midnight Weightless Oil.
Step 5 – Take Extra Protection
- Do not use any dye on your hair. It causes damage and that damage is not repairable most of the time.
- Always give protection to your hair from the sun. The rays of the sun are very harmful to hair and it dries out the scalp and hair. Use a hat or scarf whenever you go out on direct sunlight on hot weather.
- Avoid pulling your hair too tight or in a ponytail mode. It may convenient most of the time for you, but it sometimes causes damages and breakage to your long hair.
- Apply natural remedies to your hair like coconut oil, honey, olive oil, tea before the shower.
- Eat healthy foods that contain essential fatty acids, vitamin B6 and protein. Besides, try to get rid of stress and never smoke.
Step 6 – Styling Long Hair
If you have long hair, you know, you have plenty of options to style it. If your long hair is thick and has a good amount of volume, you can straight it with a flat iron.
Besides, it looks good when long hair has wavy and curly shapes. To have a quick and long-lasting curl on your long hair, hot rollers can be your best choice.
But whatever hot tools you are using on your hair, always use a heat protectant. You can also use hairspray to hold the tease of your hair.
So that’s it for today. Hope you have read and understood all the steps and cautions correctly and will maintain your long hair routine as we suggest. This was an easy guide that needs a little extra passion, time and care. By doing so, you can have your desired, lovely, healthy and good looking long hair.
Long Hair, Oval Face? Try These Amazing Hairstyles!
3 Techniques for Growing Long Hair in a Week Naturally
- L'Oreal Paris, How to Take Care of Long Hair
- Luxy Hair, Hair Routine for Long Hair: How to Wash, Dry and Style
- The Glowing Fridge, hair care secrets for long, healthy locks