Curly hair is now a trend of many women from different ages. Whether you are on a party, going outside on holiday or on a date, curly hair can make you look different, bold and special. But it will be so frustrating if your lovely, flawless, bouncy curls get limp and flat after a few hours of making it with care and time.
So, in this article today, you are going to find some tips to make your curls stay all day long. And to do so, you need some procedures to maintain and some recommended products to use. No more talk, let’s begin.
1. Start with Some Natural Maintaining
Your curls mostly get damp and flat while you sleep. If you are constantly do not care your curly hair during night and your bedtime, it becomes ineffective to hold your curl for a long time, whatever products and tools you will use to curling it. However, here are some recommendations to do natural care for long-lasting curly hair.
- If your hair is long, pull it lightly to the top of your head and loosely bind as a ponytail with an elastic band before going to bed at night or sleep.
- If your hair length is short to medium, then split your hair and fan it out beside while sleeping. It will be best for them who sleep on their back most of the time.
- Always use a stained pillowcase. This will make sure your hair will have less friction, become less ruffled and smother.
2. Prepare Your Hair
Before start curling, you need to prepare your hair. First, make your hair completely dry before curling it. Using hot tools like curling irons or the hot rollers on wet hair may cause serious damage to your beloved hair. So, be cautious about this.
After drying your hair, use a mousse or gel for curly hair. It will really help your hair to hold the curls for long. Besides, we recommend using a hair spray or a heat protectant before curling with a hot tool. This will help to set the curl well and avoids burning your hair. You can try Tresemme Thermal Creations Volumising Mousse as your heat protectant.
3. Products to Use before Curling
To have your curly hair last all day long, you need to have the right texture of your hair. And the right texture can be attained with the right hair products. Before start curling your hair, you need to maintain some procedure and apply some products on your hair. This will help your curls hold for a long period of time. So, let’s talk about the products you should use before curling your hair.
Heavy shampoos and conditioners make your hair weighted. So, use a moisture shampoo like Nexxus Hydra-Light Rebalancing Shampoo which will make your hair lighter without drying it out. Curls stay long on lighter weighted hairs.
Amplifier for Curly Hair
Most of the girls skip this step. After shampooing, they directly go for using a blow dryer. But to hold your curl for a longer time, you need to make sure that your hair has equal parts of holds and it’s not frizzy.
Curl enhancing product or curl amplifier is packed with some good nourishing ingredients which will smooth your hair and give a more natural touchable look. As a curl enhancer product, we like TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock Amplifier a lot. It works really well on all types of hair.
Use a Blow Dryer Diffuser Along with Hair Dryer
Drying your hair before curling it is mandatory. Besides, a dryer diffuser can enhance the natural health of your hair and it reduces frizz. If you want extra volume after curling, incline your head upside down while using a blow dryer.
But if you want beachy curl, you can scrunch your hair a little bit before blow drying. You can get hair dryers nowadays with a diffuser but if not, we suggest you buy BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Universal Finger Diffuser.
Use Hair Powder for Perfect Grip
It is one of the effective curling hair tips from us. By using a hair powder you can skip both shampoo and hairdryer. You know that dirty hairs can hold curls better than silky, fresh hair.
The Redken Powder Grip 03 Mattifying Hair Powder can make strong curls without having greasy hair. You can also use this dry shampoo to save both of your time and money.
Using a Hair Setting Spray Is a Plus
If you are not familiar with hair sprays or not using it to do curling, you are then missing a key to long-lasting curls. The hair setting sprays help your hair to set curls as you like to stay it and also these sprays make your hair curls stay all day long.
The best hair setting spray we can recommend is BIOLAGE Styling Thermal Active Spray.
4. Hot Tools to Use for Curling Your Hair
If you have fine and limp hair which does not hold the curls for a long period of time, then a hot roller will be the best solution for your hair. It can make some good curls on your hair and provides a wide range of styling options. However, curling with hot rollers; you need some practice to have the perfect settings and it needs some time. We recommend you to keep the rollers at least for 10 minutes (more will be better if you have some extra time).
Curling irons can make your hair curl easy and within a short time. But if you are using your curling iron for a long time, it’s time to upgrade your old one as there are some better products with new materials and technology that do less harm to your hair while curling it. The curling irons which are made with ceramic and titanium are more effective and superior than the curling irons with old technology and materials.
To curl your hair with a curling iron, first, do it in small sections and pin or bind the rest of your hair on the top of your head with a clip or band. Take time and do it section by section. Use a smaller curling iron for having a longer-lasting curl.
Our top choice for a curling iron is Remington Pro 1″ – 1 ½” Curling Wand.
5. Use a Finishing Hairspray That Holds Your Curl for Long
After finishing curling your hair you need to let it cool first. Remember, after cooling, your curls will not displace easily. So, before moving out or touching your hair, please wait a while and let your hair be cool.
After that, use hairspray if you are more conscious about the longevity of your curls. Besides, with your curling hair, you obviously do not want like helmet alike hard hair on your head, right? An after curling hairspray can make your curly hair softer, smoother and long-lasting.
This time we recommend, CHI 54 Enviro Firm Hold Hair Spray. By using it after curling, you will love to touch your hair and your curls will be softer but last longer.
6. Some Last Things to Remember
- Always choose the right size of hot tools for your hair. If your hair is short or is not long enough, buy a smaller size curling iron and hot roller.
- Choose the right products and the right equipment according to your hair type. Use wide-tooth combs for a better-textured look.
- Let your curls cool first. Otherwise, it will not stay long.
- Once your curly hair cools down, unbind your hair and gently shake. You can also gently rake through your hair to break up the uneven or ugly looking curls.
- Always, leave the curls tight for a long time lasting. You can use TYME Iron to make tight and longer lasting curls.
- Do not curl your hair just after shampooing or the day you have washed your hair with a shampoo. And skip conditioner if you want to curl your hair regularly.
- Don’t brush just after curling your hair. You can comb your hair with fingers only section by section.
- Always finish your curling with a texturizing spray.
It’s not all about just doing good looking and unique style on your hair. As you do not like to style your hair twice a day, the styles need to last long. We have described all the effective procedures that can make your curls last all day long. Follow the steps and be stylish and worriless throughout your day.
The Brush Story – How to Find the Best Brush for Your Hair Type
Effective Hair Retention Tips and Tricks for Hair Styling Enthusiasts
- Liliya Kay, How to make your curls last longer
- Sam Villa Hair Tutorials, 4 Reason your curls aren't holding | How to make curls last longer, Apr 17, 2017
- DIANA NGUYEN, How to Get Stubborn Hair to Hold a Curl—and Make it Last, Jun. 23, 2015