3 Techniques for Growing Long Hair in a Week Naturally
Many women (and some men) prefer long hair over short hair for reasons such as:
- Long hair provides ample scope for experimenting with different hairstyles.
- Long hair is generally regarded as a sign of healthy hair and scalp.
- Hair trims are less apparent in long hair and more noticeable in short hair.
- Long hair can easily hide any slip-ups by the stylist. On the other hand, short hair takes longer to style and requires a lot more precision.
The rate of hair growth varies from person to person and is largely determined by genetics, diet, and medical conditions. Regardless, there are ways to stimulate hair growth either naturally or with the help of synthetic formulations. In this article, the focus is on natural methods of stimulating hair growth.
While the average person’s hair can take up to 2 weeks to grow an inch or more, the hair growth stimulants mentioned in the next section can help to accelerate the process. This means that long hair is only 7 days away if you use the hair mask, hair tonic, warm oil massage, or a suitable combination of these properly. Pay attention to the quantities of each ingredient involved and follow the directions carefully.
Below are 3 ways you can extend your hair by 2-3 inches in a week. All hair masks, warm oil massages, and hair tonics should be applied every day of the week unless otherwise stated.
1. Warm Oil Massage
Warm some natural oil and have someone massage it onto your scalp for 20 minutes. Leave it on for another 30 minutes and then rinse it off in the shower. You can choose from a wide selection of herbal, nut, floral, and fruit oils that can curb hair fall and promote hair growth:
- lavender oil
- rosemary oil
- sage oil
- thyme oil
- peppermint oil
- lemon oil
- arnica oil
- hops oil
- coconut oil
- castor oil
- olive oil
- almond oil
2. Homemade Hair Masks
- Combine a tablespoon of coconut oil and olive oil each, a couple of tablespoons of honey, and an egg yolk. Apply this mixture to your scalp and leave it on for a few hours before rinsing it off with a mild cleanser. Use this hair mask twice a week to double the length of your hair.
- Extract the juice of three potatoes and combine it with a tablespoon of honey and egg Apply the mask to the roots of your hair and rinse it off after half an hour. Potatoes are rich in vitamins A, B, and C which are necessary for strengthening your hair and helping it grow.
- An egg mask is a tried and tested method for inducing hair growth. Simply beat an egg with a tablespoon of olive oil and apply the mixture to your scalp and hair. Rinse it off after 15-20 minutes with a mild shampoo. Use this hair mask only on wash days.
- Mix two tablespoons each of castor oil and onion juice. Massage this mixture onto your scalp for 2 minutes. Leave it on for an hour and then rinse it off with a sulfate-free cleanser. Both castor oil and onion juice are excellent for boosting hair growth. Apply this hair mask every other day to reap its benefits.
- Fenugreek seeds are great for promoting hair growth. Soak a tablespoon of these seeds overnight. Grind them to a fine paste, adding a little yogurt to it. Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- The nettle leaf improves blood flow to the hair follicles thereby stimulating hair growth. A handful of nettle leaves can be soaked and ground to a paste mixed with olive oil. Apply this hair mask to your scalp and hair. Leave it on for about 30 minutes to allow your strands to absorb all of its goodness. Rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
- The cassia plant is widely known for its antibacterial properties and ability to curb hair fall. Soak a few leaves and grind them to a paste. Apply the mixture to your hair and rinse it off with lukewarm water after an hour.
- Yogurt promotes hair growth by unclogging hair follicles and improving scalp health. Combine a couple of tablespoons of yogurt with a beaten egg and apply this mixture to your hair. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then rinse it off with a mild shampoo. Use this hair mask on wash days only.
3. Homemade Hair Tonic/rinse
- Boil a bunch of guava leaves in a liter of water and strain the mixture into a jar. Allow the tonic to cool to room temperature before pouring it on your hair from the roots through to the ends. Leave it on your hair for a couple of hours before rinsing it off with plain water. Guava leaves are rich in vitamin B which boosts hair health, curbs hair fall, and encourages hair growth by strengthening the hair follicles.
- Stir in two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a liter of water and rinse your hair with this solution after you cleanse and condition your hair. Apple cider vinegar is widely known for stimulating hair growth. However, use of this tonic should be limited to wash days only.
- To nourish the scalp and promote hair growth, rinse freshly washed hair with chamomile tea that has been cooled to room temperature. This hair tonic should be used on wash days only.
- As incredible as it sounds, flowers have the ability to stimulate hair growth through dandruff control and optimal scalp health. Boil a tablespoon of dandelion or marigold petals in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes. Cool the tea to room temperature and rinse your hair with it.
- Well-known for its antifungal and antibacterial properties, thyme is also helpful in encouraging hair growth. It achieves this by imparting essential nutrients such as potassium, magnesium, and selenium to the hair follicles which is responsible for hair growth. Steep a handful of this herb in boiling water, strain it, and cool it to room temperature. Rinse your hair with this tea.
- Parsley is commonly used in cooking and savored for the freshness and flavor it imparts to any dish. Interestingly, its tea can be used to stimulate hair growth. It does this by improving blood flow to the hair follicles and enhancing the production of keratin and collagen, both of which are responsible for hair growth. Boil a small bunch of this herb in water, strain it, and allow the tea to cool to room temperature. Rinse your hair with this tea.
- Watercress is rich in biotin, potassium, and vitamin A, all of which help to boost hair growth. Boil a handful of this herb in a cup of water, strain it, and let the tea cool to room temperature. Rinse your hair with this tea following a good cleanse. This hair rinse is to be used on wash days only.
- Moringa promotes the growth of hair by strengthening the hair follicles. Its powder can be used to prepare a hair rinse that can be used daily. Steep the powder in boiling water, strain it and cool it before rinsing your hair with it.
- Three handfuls of the maidenhair fern boiled in two cups of water will help to boost hair growth by improving blood circulation to the scalp. Rinse freshly washed hair with this hair rinse on wash days only.
Related Guide: Hot Rollers for Long Hair Buying Guide.
The natural methods of growing long hair in a week (as mentioned above) must be supported by a balanced diet, adequate sleep, good hair brushing technique, and hair products and accessories that are gentle on your hair. It is also important to avoid humidity, heat-styling and chemical treatments which can weaken your hair and inhibit its growth.
- A Wig & A prayer, HOW TO GROW LONG HAIR IN LESS THAN A WEEK!, April 23, 2018
- Sarah Betts, How To REALLY Grow LONG HAIR FAST & NATURALLY! (Easy Tips + Tricks) 2016, Mar 19, 2016
At first, I would like to appreciate you for the time and effort you gave in writing this article. It is easy to read and understand, there is no unnecessary information or spins and it has a clean, easy vibe. In one word, this blog post is amazing.
You have given a lot of hair masks ideas to grow back long hair. They are easy to make and almost all the ingredients are available in the kitchen. There are no complaints here.
My only issue with this article is that, you haven’t added any pictures of any of these masks or hair tonic so that your readers would understand how these look. Moreover, because there are no images, there is no visual interest in the article also. I would have loved to see some colorful pictures with this piece of writing.
I wish you all the success and luck.
First of all, thank you very much for your sweet words. We are ecstatic with your response. Our readers’ feedback inspires us to write better.
Secondly, we would keep in mind about your complain and try to upload articles accordingly.
Till then, please stay with us.
I have to admit that, your writing style is very reader-friendly. You try to write as simple as possible. This is a rare quality for writers these days.
However, as much as I love your writing style, I absolutely hate this article. I not only wasted my time reading it but I also ruined my mood. It commendable that you have listed a lot of remedies to grow back long hair, but, you have forgotten to state why and how these will help the hair grows.
Please be more particular and reasonable while giving advices to your readers. Some of them really believe what you write.
Thank you very much for taking the time out and writing back to us. We appreciate our readers’ response.
And we heard your complaint and we are sorry that you didn’t like this piece of writing. We would keep in mind your advice in the future.
I came here to share my experience. I think you have forgotten to include this mask in your list. To promote hair growth and also to reduce hair fall, I use an onion mask on my scalp once a week, which keeps the hair strands intact in place and also helps them to grow faster than usual. What I do is smash a big onion and add a tablespoon of honey and a drop of lemon juice to it and massage it onto the scalp only. After about 20 minutes, I rinse the paste with warm water and a mild shampoo.
This has worked for me. I think it would do the same for you. Try it ladies. You will thank me latter.
Thank you very much for sharing your tips with us. We are sure that it will help our readers greatly.